Wednesday, February 27, 2013

What Does the Future Hold for Animal Agriculture?

image taken from google images

A hot button issue that has been is it ethical to raise animals in confinement? Not everybody, but some, are thinking about how their food was raised. Many folks still envision the typical dairy barn as a big red barn, a silo and some black and white cows on a green hill. That is just not the case for many dairies. In fact many many dairy cows spend most of their time inside.  I am only going to scratch the surface about the issue of confinement farming or large production farming for that matter, but I am going to do my best to present some facts and my point of view.

image taken from google images

I want to be clear that I am not attacking the way many farmers raise their animals. It has been a very effective way and healthy way for years. With the advancement of science, it has been amazing at how we have become so extremely efficient when raising animals. So I commend farmers for taking care of their animals the best way they know how and producing the safest food in the entire world! I will also go ahead and say that I am not attacking folks who believe that we need to "kick it old school" and raise everything outside. I just think we need to meet in the middle and have a good quality facts based discussion on the topic. Because times are changing and the public is pushing for a new way of thinking.

A little background...

  • Currently the United States produces about 40% of the worlds food. 
  • We only use about 20% of the harvest-ready land. That is awesome! 
  • The united States also has the safest food in the entire world! look it up if you don't believe me, the USDA will be more than happy to show you the data and the facts. 
  • American's also have the LUXURY of paying the least out of nearly all other nations for food.

Large production farming in many cases involved some confinement for animals. Poultry, Swine (hogs) and dairy cattle, being the most apt to this kind of living. I have personally been to a large production dairy where they milked 3 times a day, all their cows stayed inside and I have to say it was one of the BEST barns I have ever been in. The cattle were handled with dignity and the utmost attention, they had excellent bedding and it was dead silent. I don't think I heard one "moo" during my tour. that farm was a great example of how large production farms can get it right. There are very few farms out there that are not taking the greatest care of their livestock. I will repeat myself: there are very few farms out there that are not taking the greatest care of their livestock. Farmers farm because they love animals and the land. You can't get rich on being a livestock producer alone, so don't ever think that is why they bring the food to your table.


This is a great video from a Dairy farm in Wisconsin that does a great job of raising animals. 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaGp8Ru_n1M


Why confinement gets a bad rap:

  • People "the public" don't understand what it takes to raise an animal.
  • People "the public" think too much about animal "rights" instead of animal "welfare"--Huge difference
  • People "the public" don't understand how if large production farms didn't use confinement, how greatly the land would be effected in a negative way. 
  • "The public" needs to just plainly be more educated about animal agriculture.
  • Health risks for animals in confinemen due tend to rise based on their close proximity to one another-if not cared for properly
  • Bio-security is a HGUE issue

Why large scale production farming is good:

  • You can produce more food efficiently 
  • You can produce food more safely
  • Animals can receive the care they deserve everyday fast and efficiently
  • Saves space and land
  • Produces less of an environmental hazard than people think

On on side of the issue people say we need to keep things the way they are or become more confined to continue high production, while others go as far as saying we shouldn't even have farms and all the animals should roam free. I think the most ethical way to solve this problem is to meet in the middle and communicate effectively between the two sides. We need to look at the facts, talk to scientists, listen to farmers and hear the needs of our consumers.

Why I think we need to make a slight change:

  • I personally am not a fan of concrete floors. I do think however that they are the best for the situation we are in right now. They are easy to clean and last a longtime, but they are harder on animals joints and cause traction issues.
  • The world needs to adjust. We can not physically and ethically support any more people. We need to change our eating habits and become more humble with what we have not what we want.
  • Those who can need to start raising their own food. Be more self-sustained!
  • I whole heartily believe that animals would live a better life in their natural environment. Do I think we are abusing them now? NO! I just think that we need to get to a place where we can make things a bit more natural for the animals. 


To be honest it would take me an entire book to explain why I think we need to do some evaluating in the way we produce some food products and how the public is way out of touch to how their food get to their plate. I can't possible explain or list all the facts about animals raised in confinement or why we need to take a good hard look at the human race in general. The only thing I can tell you is to please do some HEALTHY research. Take into account who is giving you the information. Off-the-wall activists are not good sources and please question those who even seem to be solid.

A little bit about me...
I am a farmer. I have been all my life. My father and I raise a small heard of 100% grass fed cattle. We raise grass fed for one reason only--Cost. I love the roots that my family has to agriculture and there is not a day that goes by that I don't thank them for sticking it out through the Great Depression, keeping their farming traditions alive and supporting me in trying 

I am the shower on the far right with my cow Angel. (Isn't she cute!) She is a Registered Red Angus.
 8/15/2011 Brainerd Minnesota.


3 comments:

  1. i do agree we need to treat animals in better way than use them as product that is linked with efficiency. It is kind of sad to see how slaughtering process is done just like a packaging process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually I think most processing plants are done quite well. YouTube Temple Grandin's slaughter plant tour, or Oprah's tour . It is excellent. I have no problem with the processing part of animals.

    My ethical issue is with the type of facilities we are raising our livestock in. I apologize if I didn't make that clear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, I believe the way in which we raise livestock is poor and inhumane. It would be better if we could adapt this environments and make them better suited for the animals. This would eliminate disease that is widespread throughout industrial livestock.

    ReplyDelete